Posted on

Lynwood standoff ends; suspect not linked to deputy ambush



Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies took into custody a carjacking suspect late Tuesday, ending a nearly nine-hour standoff in Lynwood rife with speculation that the Sheriff’s Department had cornered the gunman who shot two deputies at point-blank range four days earlier.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Bob Boese skewered that theory Tuesday night, telling reporters that the man in custody, Deonte Murray, was suspected not of ambushing the sheriff’s deputies but of shooting a man and stealing his car two weeks earlier.

The massive police presence in Lynwood was prompted by the fact that Murray, 36, had shot his carjacking victim with a “high-powered rifle,” Boese said, as well as a “heightened sense of awareness” after the attack on the deputies Saturday.

The deputies, a 31-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man, were sitting in a patrol car outside a Metro station in Compton when a gunman approached and fired multiple rounds into their bodies. They survived and are recovering.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva promised an exhaustive search for the gunman. When the department said Tuesday afternoon that it had dispatched its Special Enforcement Bureau — the sheriff’s shock troops — to deal with a barricaded suspect in Lynwood, social media hummed with speculation that they had cornered the shooter.

Boese poured cold water on the theory.

“At this time,” he said in announcing Murray’s arrest, “there is no information that would lead us to believe that he is involved in the shooting of our deputies.

“He is a carjacking suspect and he will be booked for carjacking and assault with a deadly weapon,” Boese said.

Two weeks ago, Boese said, deputies stationed in Compton responded to a carjacking in the 500 block of Essey Avenue and found a 51-year-old whose car had been stolen and who had been shot in the leg.

Gang investigators obtained an arrest warrant and began searching for Murray, who was spotted Tuesday near the intersection of Alondra Boulevard and Bradfield Avenue, Boese said. Deputies attempted to stop him in his Toyota Solara, Boese said, but Murray took off, with the deputies in pursuit.

Murray ditched the car in the 3000 block of Carlin Avenue in Lynwood and hid in a home, Boese said.

Into the evening, deputies blocked residents from entering or leaving a taped-off area. Helicopters buzzed overhead.

Christina Carrillo, 30, waited Tuesday night with her wife outside the area, hoping to reach their two children soon.

Carrillo, who has lived in the area for about 10 years, said she worried that the shooting of the two deputies in nearby Compton would increase mistrust between the community and law enforcement.

“It came close to home,” she said. “The tension is something we don’t need.”

After nearly nine hours, deputies used tear gas and a police dog to flush Murray from the property. They found him hiding inside a trash bin behind the property, Boese said.





Source link

Posted on

5 things to know on CTVNews.ca for Friday, July 3, 2020: armed suspect, heat wave, Nick Cordero


TORONTO —
Canada is approaching 105,000 total cases of COVID-19, with more than 350 new cases recorded in the last day. Here’s what else you need to know to start the day. 

1. Ottawa arrest: Police say the man arrested on the grounds of Rideau Hall in Ottawa Thursday is an active member of the Canadian Armed Forces. 

2. Pipeline appeal: Several B.C. First Nations vow to keep their fight against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion going, despite losing what appears to be the last known legal option to overturn federal approval of the project. 

3. Possible exposure: Health officials are warning passengers on three recent flights to Vancouver International Airport to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19. 

4. Heat wave: There are heat warnings for southern Manitoba and most of Ontario, alerting the public that temperatures could stay above 30 degrees for longer than seven days. 

5. Google tracking: According to Google’s latest data, Canadians have been leaving the house more as the weather heats up, with activity in Canadian parks up 117 per cent between mid-May and the end of June. 

One more thing…

Long battle: Amanda Kloots, the wife of Canadian actor Nick Cordero, says her husband will likely need a double lung transplant to heal the damage he’s suffered from complications of COVID-19. 

Nick Cordero



Source link

Posted on

Mississauga murder suspect has criminal history in Calgary


The man accused of killing a Mississauga man in October was due to appear in a Calgary courtroom two weeks after the deadly shooting.

Brandon Horatio Drakes-Simon, 24, was arrested by Peel Regional Police Dec. 6 in connection with the Oct. 22 shooting death of Mario Ibrahim outside of a Webb Dr. condo in Mississauga.

On Monday, members of the Calgary Police Service arrested 24-year-old Melnee Christian in connection with Ibrahim’s death, charging her also with first-degree murder.


Brandon Drakes-Simon, 24 of Mississauga, is charged with first-degree murder.

She was escorted on a commercial flight from Calgary to Toronto Pearson Airport in handcuffs by Peel police Tuesday evening.

Drakes-Simon, who has appeared on Calgary’s ‘most wanted’ lists from as far back as May. 14, 2015, was due to appear in Calgary court Nov 5. for robbery and failure to appear on recognizance charges.

Those proceedings were stayed.

Sources also tell the Sun Drakes-Simon had active warrants issued against him at the time of his arrest.

Two days prior to his Oct. 22 murder, Ibrahim narrowly escaped an attempt on his life when a dark-coloured SUV pulled up beside him on the eastbound lanes of the 401 near Hwy. 427 and opened fire.

Police are also working on linking Ibrahim’s murder with an earlier robbery and shooting at a Mississauga strip club.

Thirty-eight-year-old Jason Williams faces robbery and gun charges in connection with that crime, and a Canada-wide warrant was issued for 34-year-old Justin Malcolm of Brampton, who police describe as “armed and dangerous.”

The investigation continues.



Source link

Posted on

Dutch police arrest 35-year-old suspect in Hague stabbings



Dutch police on Saturday said they had arrested a 35-year-old man suspected of stabbing three youths on a street in the center of The Hague late on Friday, Trend reports citing Reuters.

Police said the suspect, described as having no fixed address, had been brought to a police station for questioning.

The three people injured, two 15-year-old girls and a 13-year-old boy were all discharged from hospital late on Friday.

National broadcaster NOS quoted two eyewitnesses as saying the girls had run screaming from the street into a nearby store. One said an “athletic” man fled the scene, jumping easily over obstacles.

The area was cordoned off for hours as first aid workers helped victims and police combed the area for clues.

Follow Trend on Telegram. Only most interesting and important news





Source link