The US has turned down an extradition request for a woman who is to be charged with causing the death of teenage motorcyclist Harry Dunn.
Mr Dunn, 19, died after a crash in Northamptonshire in August which led to the suspect Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a US intelligence officer, leaving for the US under diplomatic immunity.
Family spokesman Radd Seiger said they had taken the news “in our stride”.
The Home Office said the decision appeared “to be a denial of justice”.
Extradition proceedings were launched earlier this month.
Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Mr Seiger said the latest move had been “factored it into our planning and strategy”.
“The reality is that this administration, which we say is behaving lawlessly and taking a wrecking ball to one of the greatest alliances in the world, they won’t be around forever whereas that extradition request will be,” he added.
“We will simply plot and plan for a reasonable administration to come in one day and to reverse this decision.”
The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo turned down the extradition request in an email to the UK Government on Thursday evening.
Washington said granting the request would “render the invocation of diplomatic immunity a practical nullity”.
The family’s constituency MP Andrea Leadsom is due to meet the US ambassador Woody Johnson in London later to discuss the case.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson previously said the chance of Ms Sacoolas, who is to be charged with causing the death by dangerous driving, ever returning to the UK was very low.
Mr Seiger said “no reason” was given by Mr Pompeo in rejecting the extradition request.
“It’s one of the darkest days in the history of this special relationship,” he said.
“Boris Johnson wanted to be prime minister, he is now being tested severely.
“I expect him today to rise to that challenge and come and meet with me and the family and tell us what he’s going to do about it.”
Mr Dunn died after his motorbike was in collision with a car owned by Mrs Sacoolas.
The crash happened outside RAF Croughton where Mrs Sacoolas’ husband Jonathan worked as an intelligence officer.
The 42-year-old left the UK and returned to her native US, claiming diplomatic immunity.
In a statement released on behalf of the suspect after she was charged in December, Mrs Sacoolas’s lawyers said: “Anne will not return voluntarily to the United Kingdom to face a potential jail sentence for what was a terrible but unintentional accident.”
The Home Office said it was “disappointed in this decision which appears to be a denial of justice”.
“We are urgently considering our options,” a spokeswoman added.
A statement from the US State Department said: “At the time the accident occurred, and for the duration of her stay in the UK, the US citizen driver in this case had immunity from criminal jurisdiction.
“If the United States were to grant the UK’s extradition request, it would render the invocation of diplomatic immunity a practical nullity and would set an extraordinarily troubling precedent.”
Following a meeting Monday with Queen Elizabeth II, it’s clear that Prince Harry and Meghan are coming to Canada for “a period of transition.”
What’s not clear is whether the couple intend to continue to divide their time between the two countries after everything has been arranged; whether they will eventually settle permanently in Canada; or, whether they have their sights set on another country, perhaps the United States, where Meghan is reportedly still a citizen. If they did choose to make Canada their permanent, primary home, would they get any special treatment in regards to Canada’s immigration system?
As the grandson of Canada’s monarch and sixth in line to the throne, one might expect Prince Harry to have some special status in this country. But the Duke of Sussex enjoys no such privilege, nor do any of the Queen’s descendants. Even the Queen does not hold Canadian citizenship, although she could reside in Canada for as long as she wants.
“She has a different kind of status but it’s not citizenship. It’s a state authority,” said Carleton University Professor Philippe Lagassé, an expert on the Westminster system. “She’s the personification of the state, so she doesn’t need a passport to enter. She would have all legal rights because everything done by governance is done in her name.”
This special status, however, only applies to the Queen because Canadian law only recognizes the ruling British monarch.
“It’s a very simple rule — whoever’s their monarch is our monarch,” Lagassé said. “We don’t have any provisions in our law for Royals having particular privileges or status. We don’t even have laws that recognize Royals as being Canadian Royals.”
Canada will not automatically grant the royal couple citizenship, and would need to apply to become permanent residents through the normal immigration process, Mathieu Genest, a spokesperson for the immigration minister, told the CBC in a statement. The minister’s office did not respond to the National Post’s request for comment before deadline.
That means Prince Harry will be entering Canada as any other British citizen would, and all British citizens can stay in Canada for up to six months without a visa. It’s the same for U.S. citizens. So Harry and Meghan’s short-term plan could simply be to travel back and forth between Canada and the U.K. at least twice a year — although that would put Meghan’s application for British citizenship at risk.
If the couple wants Canada to be their economic base, visitor visas won’t help them with their long-term goal of becoming financially independent as neither of them would be permitted to work in the country, said Harjit Grewal, an immigration consultant with Sterling Immigration who works in Vancouver and London.
However, it’s entirely possible that Meghan is already a permanent resident in Canada, Grewal said. While she was filming the TV show Suits, Meghan lived in Toronto for nine months of the year for seven years, until she moved to the U.K. to live with Harry in November 2017.
If, during that time, she got a self-employed visa, aimed at people who work in cultural activities or athletics, then she would have been granted permanent residency. That would mean that Meghan is still eligible to live and work — in any field — in Canada, and that she could sponsor Harry and their son Archie.
The couple could also qualify for a business visa, if they chose to invest some of their vast wealth in Canada, Grewal said. He also pointed out that, if Meghan and Harry successfully monetize the Sussex brand, Canada could be eager to fast-track their applications and welcome them as taxpaying citizens.
We don’t have any provisions in our law for Royals having particular privileges or status
Another option is the federal skilled worker (express entry) program, but the couple might not fare too well under that points-based system since Prince Harry doesn’t have a university degree and they are both over 30, Grewal said. Prince Harry is 35 and Meghan is 38.
While the couple have no legal status, in the eyes of many Canadians, there is a cultural connection to the country as members of the Royal family, Lagassé said, but that doesn’t change the law.
“To what extent do you bend the law to accommodate people of fairly significant means?” Lagassé said. “It becomes a political question, not a legal one at that point.”
POPULAR ON NP RIGHT NOW:
‘Celebrities’: Will Prince Harry take over the post of governor general? Canadians are hopeful, poll says
Conservative mom group offended by ‘d-word’ in Burger King commercial. No, not that d-word
Maple Leaf Foods CEO criticizes the ‘narcissist in Washington’ after Iran deaths
Harry Maguire has the top four in his sights after Manchester United’s thrilling derby triumph at Manchester City .
A week that started with scrutiny and mounting pressure on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the wake of an alarming home draw with promoted Aston Villa ended with a second memorable victory in a matter of days.
Fresh from deservedly seeing off Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham 2-1 on Wednesday evening, Man Utd won by the same scoreline across town at the Etihad Stadium thanks to a roaring start and impressive game plan.
Few connected to City could have complained had Solskjaer’s side added to goals from Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial in a fine first half that laid the foundation for a victory that secured more than just bragging rights.
The 2-1 win in the 179th Manchester derby moved United up to fifth and within five points of the Champions League spots after fourth-placed Chelsea fell to a surprise loss at embattled Everton.
“I think you need to look after your own results, don’t look elsewhere, keep winning games,” Maguire, the world’s most expensive defender, said.
“We’ve won back-to-back games against Spurs and City. We’ve got another big game next week now.
“The top four is in sight but we just keep looking after our own results, keep trying to get the three points and keep improving.”
United return to action on Thursday as they close their Europa League group campaign at home to AZ Alkmaar, when Solskjaer will want to keep his in-form attackers fresh ahead of next weekend’s league clash with Everton.
The Reds had been hampered by their lack of cutting edge during the early months of the season, but the front three of Rashford, Martial and fleet-footed Daniel James showed they can scare any side on Saturday.
“Over the last month or so, I feel like as a defender I look at the forwards and think they’re going to score goals,” Maguire told MUTV.
“At the start of the season we didn’t really score more than one goal in a game but now I think it’s a few games on the spin where we’re back to scoring goals.
“They’re a big threat, they’re top players, great talent and I think it’s all coming together now.
“But, no, we’re not getting carried away.
“It’s a big three points, it’s a special win, one for the fans, I’m really happy for them.
“We just keep moving up that table and keep chipping away.”
United are unbeaten in five Premier League matches and secured their first back-to-back league wins since things spectacularly unravelled in March.
There is a growing confidence within Solskjaer’s squad and Maguire is targeting more improvements after captaining the side to victory in the blue half of Manchester.
“Proud,” the England international said. “Really proud to the lead the boys out at the Etihad and to get the three points. It was an important game for us.
“We feel like this year we haven’t got results in some games where we feel we deserved the three points.
“I think the last two games, I don’t think no-one can question that we’ve deserved both victories.
“Great start from the lads. The front four in the first half was frightening and when they’re on their game like that, they can cause any defence problems.
“The disappointing thing probably at half-time was that it was only 2-0!
“We knew they were going to come strong, they were going to throw everything at us.
“I think we held out really well. I don’t think they created too much in the second half.
“We knew we were going to have a lot of bouncing passes and David made a good a save late on and to concede from a set play is really disappointing. Something that we’ve got to tighten up on.
“Like I said, to come to the Etihad and them not to score from open play but to concede from a set play as a defender, and I am sure for David as well, it’s disappointing.
“The victory is for the fans. They deserve it this season.”
Solskjaer was proud of United’s performance at the Etihad Stadium, where they displayed the “quick, attacking football” he always knew his side were capable of in the right shape.
The Norwegian also praised their “great character and attitude” on an afternoon when missiles were aimed at Fred, who produced his best performance in a red shirt.
The Brazil midfielder was also subjected to alleged racist abuse along with Jesse Lingard, who again showed he is getting back to his best at the end of a tough year.”
He’s Man United through and through,” Solskjaer said of Lingard. “He’s a red, he’s got a great attitude and a great workrate.
“Every one of us have things to deal with on and off the pitch and what he has had to deal with, that will be between us. It’s great to see him back.”
Put to Solskjaer that fans do not see off-field issues, he said: “Exactly. That’s the privilege some people think they have.
“You can criticise anyone about anything but, for me as a manager, I have to look after these boys in the good and the bad times.
“It’s great to work with him. I had him in the reserves, I gave him his debut in the reserves against Burnley. It’s good to see him back to his old self.”
Liam Payne watched his ex-bandmate Harry Styles perform at Capital’s Jingle Bell Ball.
The singer, 26, showed his support for his former One Direction bandmate as Styles, 25, sang tracks including What Makes You Beautiful.
Earlier, Payne opened the show at London’s O2 Arena.
With his girlfriend, Maya Henry, he then watched Styles, who performed wearing an open chested jumpsuit.
Rita Ora, who performed on stage, was also in the audience.
Stormzy was also on the bill and later could be seen chatting to Styles saying, “We’ve got to link up when you’re ready.”
Earlier, Payne told Capital’s Will Manning: “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Harry perform on his own before live, which I think will be quite a nostalgic moment, so I think might have to stick around for that.”
The event continues on Sunday with Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Anne-Marie, Mabel and Sigala among the names on the bill.
The weekend line-up also includes The Script, Jax Jones and AJ Tracey.
U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa said Sunday that the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75) begins flight operations in U.S. Sixth Fleet to support maritime security operations in international waters, alongside our allies and partners.
Deploying ships and aircraft of the strike group, commanded by Rear Adm. Andrew J. Loiselle, include flagship USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75), commanded by Capt. Kavon Hakimzadeh; the eight squadrons and staff of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1, staffs of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 8, and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 28.
“We are ready to continue our steadfast commitment to our allies and partners in U.S. 6th Fleet,” said Loiselle. “These vital sea lanes must remain open for global commerce and prosperity, and nothing in the world is able to foster regional security like a carrier strike group.”
Squadrons of CVW-1, commanded by Capt. Robert Gentry, embarked on Truman include Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 11 “Red Rippers;” VFA-81 “Sunliners;” VFA-136 “Knighthawks;” VFA-211 “Fighting Checkmates;” Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 137 “Rooks;” Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 126 “Seahawks;” Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 72 “Proud Warriors;” Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 11 “Dragon Slayers;” and a detachment from Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) 40 “Rawhides.”
The Harry S. Truman strike group last operated in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in 2018, demonstrating its ability to operate from the High North to the East Mediterranean.
In mid-November, the U.S. Navy has announced repairs to the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) are complete and added that all efforts are being made to return the carrier and air wing to sea to conduct operations.
In August, the Navy announced an emergent maintenance requirement for an electrical issue aboard Truman, according to a Navy news release.
“The Navy replaced damaged components and completed tests to ensure no further issues will arise. An engineering analysis, coupled with inspections aboard several aircraft carriers, show that this was a localized issue and not a class-wide concern,” the Navy message states. “The success of this repair was due to the outstanding efforts of multiple Navy organizations and industry partners who quickly brought their expertise and skills to bear to resolve this issue.”
* If you wish to report grammatical or factual errors within our news articles, you can let us know by using the online feedback form.