Cai Changpan, also known as Cai Ji Fan, was jailed in the Tangerang area on the outskirts of the capital city Jakarta, on charges of smuggling methamphetamine. Last Monday, he escaped by digging a hole from his cell into waste pipes and onto a road outside the prison, according to Jakarta police spokesperson Yusri Yunus.
Cai had been planning this escape for five to six months, according to his cell mate. He dug the hole using tools from a construction project in the prison kitchen, Yunus said.
Cai had timed his escape to the changing of the prison guards, according to Indonesia Directorate General of Prisons spokeswoman Rika Aprianti.
Cai had been sentenced to death in 2017 for trafficking 135 kilograms (almost 300 pounds) of crystal meth, according to Indonesian news website detik.com. A police investigation found 70 kilograms (154 pounds) of meth hidden in chicken coop cleaner equipment.
This isn’t Cai’s first escape; in 2017, he broke out of a police detention center in Jakarta by breaking a hole in a bathroom wall. After this most recent escape, police are on the search, with Cai on their most wanted list.
Cai’s representatives weren’t immediately reachable for comment.
The mayor and police chief say outside agitators have been arrested.
September 6, 2020, 10:41 PM
• 7 min read
Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren and the city’s police chief La’Ron Singletary called for calm Sunday as the city geared up for another night of protests following the death of Daniel Prude.
Warren’s pleas came after authorities said outside agitators have plotted to damage the city and after police used pepper spray and tear gas to disperse a crowd of over 1,200 people Saturday night.
Warren stood by Singletary and the police department and commended them for their restraint during the last couple of nights of protest. Singletary added that officers have arrested suspects from out of state and cited intelligence from social media that some of the alleged agitators planned to damage the city’s public safety building during the protests.
“People from outside of the city like Alaska and Massachusetts have been arrested,” Singletary said at the news conference.
The protests stem from last week’s release of body camera footage showing the March 23 incident involving Rochester police officers and Prude, 41. Prude’s brother Joe called 911 to get help, saying Daniel was having a mental health emergency.
The officers are seen pinning Prude to the ground while the bag is still on his head, and he eventually goes lifeless. Prude died in the hospital a week later.
Seven Rochester officers have been suspended with pay as New York State Attorney General Letitia James’s office investigates the incident, which is part of New York state’s protocol anytime someone dies in police custody. On Saturday, James announced she would empanel a grand jury to investigate Prude’s death.
Protests that have taken place in the city since the news broke have become contentious between those involved and the police. Officers say they’ve been struck by bottles and rocks and have had to use pepper spray, tear gas and other weapons to disperse crowds during the demonstrations, including the one on Saturday night.
About 1,500 people marched downtown Saturday and some allegedly set off fireworks, according to the Rochester Police Department. Three officers were treated for injuries related to the fireworks and nine people were arrested, according to the police.
Warren said she is coming up with a plan that would allow protesters to assemble while at the same time protecting people from injuries and damage to buildings. She called on the city’s elders to meet at a church Sunday evening to work to keep the demonstrations as peaceful as possible.
“Our elders will stand as the buffer between the protesters and our police department,” she said.
At the same time, Warren acknowledged that the department and city should have done more to protect Prude.
“We have to own the fact that in that moment, we did not do that,” she said.
The mayor revealed that she first saw the body camera footage last month but could not take any direct action because of the investigation by the attorney general. She defended Singletary and his actions thus far in the investigation, saying that he’s done everything by the book and has not impeded or covered up the case.
“I wholeheartedly believe RPD Chief Singletary can lead us through this time,” she said.
In the meantime, Warren and Singletary said the city is already working to change the way the city responds to mental health emergency calls. The city will double the availability of mental health professionals and the police will review its measures in place for handling such emergencies, according to the mayor and chief.
“Certain calls shouldn’t be handled by police,” Singletary said.
After the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally brought hundreds of thousands of people to the Black Hills of South Dakota, residents of the small town lined up to be tested for the coronavirus. (Aug. 25)
The first COVID-19 death associated with a massive biker rally in Sturgis, South Dakota has been reported weeks after the event attracted more than 400,000 vehicles and drew widespread concern from public health officials.
The death was reported by Minnesota Department of Health Infectious Disease Director Kris Ehresmann at a Wednesday briefing. Minnesota — South Dakota’s neighbor to the east — is tracking an ongoing outbreak of 50 cases tied to the August event, Ehresmann said.
A Minnesota man who died was in his 60s and had underlying health conditions. The 50-case outbreak only includes people who attended the event, Ehresmann said, noting that those infected individuals may have spread the virus to others.
Infections linked to the event have been reported among people in states from coast to coast. The rally went forward despite fears it could become a super-spread event. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem welcomed bikers and the tourist dollars they spend.
Watch: Sturgis tests for COVID-19 after motorcycle rally
Aug. 19: Warning issued after bar patron had COVID-19 at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally that drew 460,000 vehicles
While the 2020 Rally was expected to be significantly smaller than previous years, it was down in size only 8% from 2019, and drew drew more than 460,000 vehicles, according to a count South Dakota transportation officials.
Noem tweeted ahead of the event: “I trusted my people, they trusted me, and South Dakota is in a good spot in our fight against COVID-19. The #Sturgis motorcycle rally starts this weekend, and we’re excited for visitors to see what our great state has to offer!”
Attendees were largely free of social distancing restrictions common elsewhere in the country during this year’s 10-day festival.
South Dakota has seen the bulk of cases tied to the rally, with the Department of Health reporting 105 tied to the rally. The city of Sturgis made coronavirus tests available to residents and city employees after the rally in an attempt to uncover people who had infections but no symptoms.
The rally ended on Aug. 16, and virus symptoms can take up to two weeks to present, according to the CDC. Severe illness or death can lag days or weeks behind the beginning of COVID-19 symptoms.
Contributing: Michael Klinski, Sioux Falls Argus Leader; The Associated Press
Last SlideNext Slide
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/02/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-first-covid-19-death-reported/5696286002/
A 61-year-old man has died in the Gaza Strip after contracting the coronavirus, Palestinian authorities said on Wednesday as they clamped down on an outbreak in the enclave.
The man had suffered previous illnesses and had been on a respirator, the health ministry said. It was the first death among the general population since an infected woman died at a quarantine centre in March.
Health officials said nine more cases were discovered on Wednesday. Six of them were in the isolated Maghazi refugee camp where a first four cases had been confirmed on Monday, prompting Gaza’s Hamas authorities to impose a full lockdown.
The three other cases were in northern Gaza Strip, indicating the virus has begun to spread into different areas of the enclave of 2 million people.
The outbreak outside Maghazi remains slow but it cemented concerns by local and international health organisations over the territory’s potentially disastrous combination of poverty, densely populated refugee camps and limited hospital capacity.
With local authorities maintaining a lockdown in all cities, people were instructed to stay home at all times and to wear face masks if, in cases of extreme necessity, they had to go out.
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), which helps over half of Gaza’s population, said it was looking into alternative plans to continue health, education and food services to beneficiaries should the lockdown be extended.
Adnan Abu Hasna, UNRWA spokesman in Gaza, said clinics remained open but physical presence was prohibited, instead staffers were providing medical consultation over the phone and some medication was delivered to patients at home.
Abus Hasna said:
We are in constant consultation with the health ministry and we are also in discussion over the implementation of our own alternative plans in order to ensure the continuation of delivering services to refugees.
Monday’s cases were uncovered after a woman traveled to the Israeli-occupied West Bank, where she tested positive, the Gaza health ministry said.
A ministry spokesman urged everyone who might have visited a supermarket outside a hospital in central Gaza to quarantine themselves and report to medics immediately.
The exodus of migrant workers from big cities is plunging India’s factories into a crisis, Agence France-Presse reports.
An acute shortage of workers has turned the roar of machines to a soft hum at a footwear factory near New Delhi, just one of thousands in India struggling to restart after migrant workers decided to leave town during the virus lockdown.
India is slowly emerging from strict containment measures that were imposed in late March as leaders look to revive the battered economy, but manufacturers don’t have enough workers to man the machinery.
The big cities, once an attractive destination for workers from poor, rural regions, have been hit by reverse migration as millions of labourers flee back to their home villages, some uncertain if they will ever return.
Sanjeev Kharbanda, a senior executive with Aqualite Industries, which owns the footwear factory in the northern state of Haryana, said: “Sixty per cent of our labourers have gone back. How can we run a production unit with just one-third of our workforce?”
Kharbanda said the company’s sports shoe unit had been sitting idle as there were no skilled workers to operate the high-tech machines.
“We are running just one shift now. The cost of production has gone up and our profits are going down,” he said, a conveyor belt carrying semi-finished flip-flops running slowly in the background.
In Gujarat state’s Surat city – where 90% of the world’s diamonds are cut and polished – many factories have been unable to open after more than two-thirds of workers fled, Surat diamond association president Babu Kathiriya told AFP.
Meanwhile, the state’s salt refineries have started doubling salaries to lure staff back. But experts say the workers may not return anytime soon.
There are an estimated 100 million migrant workers – nearly a fifth of the labour force and contributing to an estimated 10% of GDP – across the nation of 1.3 billion people.
Many are employed as cheap labour across a vast range of sectors including textiles, construction, mines and small businesses.
The L.A. Police Commission held a Zoom meeting with the community.
June 3, 2020, 12:38 AM
5 min read
5 min read
Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore has apologized for “misspeaking” after making controversial remarks about the death of George Floyd at a press conference Monday night. But Moore was confronted by angry callers on a virtual meeting Tuesday meant to address tensions and repeatedly asked to resign.
Moore was addressing the violence and looting at the protests Monday night in Los Angeles when he said, “We didn’t have protests last night, we had criminal acts, we didn’t have people mourning the death of this man, George Floyd, we had people capitalizing it. His death is on their hands as much as it is those officers.'”
The final sentence, seemingly blaming protesters for the death of Floyd, which has sparked nationwide protests against police, generated immediate rebukes online.
Now calling his initial words offensive, Moore said in a statement that while looting is wrong it is a false comparison to murder and he deeply regrets and apologizes for his “characterization.”
“Let me be clear: The police officers involved were responsible for the death of George Floyd,” he added.
There were almost 700 arrests on Monday night, 70 which involved burglary or looting, according to the LAPD.
The comments came at a time when the nation is in anguish, reeling from another death of an unarmed black man in police custody.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti showed support for his police chief on Tuesday.
He responded to the controversy in a short statement on Twitter, writing, “The responsibility for George Floyd’s death rests solely with the police officers involved. Chief Moore regrets the words he chose this evening and has clarified them.”
While some showed support for Moore online, many are calling for Moore’s resignation.
Tuesday morning, after Moore’s apology, the L.A. Police Commission held a Zoom meeting where callers from the community sharply criticized the LAPD’s history of police brutality and called for Moore’s immediate firing.
The meeting hit its 500 people cap within minutes and it has tens of thousands of views online.
A resident of Los Angeles said on the call, “The fact that was your unscripted instinct, we see who you are and if you the members of the police commission refuse to hold him accountable you deserve to be terminated from your positions as well, you need to police the police.”
One caller after another expressed their anger and frustration directly at the chief and the commissioners, questioning the sincerity of their commitment to end racial injustice within the department.
In an impassioned speech, another caller said the department’s responses were “hollow,” adding, “We’re not asking for too much, we simply want police to stop killing us and to be accountable when they do.”
Los Angeles County is under curfew for a third day Tuesday.
Brasília (AFP) – Brazil on Saturday reached 28,834 coronavirus fatalities, authorities said, surpassing hard-hit France and becoming the country with the world’s fourth-highest death toll.
At the epicenter of South America’s coronavirus outbreak, Brazil also saw an increase of 33,274 cases in the past 24 hours — a new daily record, the Health Ministry said.
That number brings Brazil’s total caseload to 498,444, the second-highest in the world, lagging only behind the United States.
Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro remain the hardest-hit states in Brazil in terms of sheer numbers, while per capita rates are higher in the country’s impoverished north and northeast, where health facilities are reaching capacity.
Brazil’s Ministry of Health has indicated “there is no way to foresee” when the country’s outbreak will peak, and experts say the number of cases could be 15 times higher than the confirmed figure because there has been no widespread testing.
The pandemic is spreading across Brazil under a cloud of confrontation, as governors and mayors implement restrictive measures while President Jair Bolsonaro, who has pinned his hopes of re-election on a booming economy, has berated them for imposing what he calls “the tyranny of total quarantine.”
The US death toll now stands at 103,685. The United Kingdom, meanwhile, has a toll of 38,376 and Italy stands at 33,340, according to a latest count by AFP.
The number of coronavirus deaths has risen by 917 to 9,875 across the UK in 24 hours, as NHS medics beg the public to stay home and save lives.
The youngest victim was an 11-year-old child, Public Health England said.
There were 823 deaths in England and 47 in Scotland.
NHS England said the patients who died were aged between 11 and 102 years old.
They said 33 of the 823 patients, aged between 29 and 94 years old, had no known underlying health condition.
The tragic figure rose from yesterday’s UK-wide figure of 8,958.
Earlier today it was announced that nineteen NHS workers have died during the coronavirus outbreak.
Brits were urged to resist the temptation to go out as temperatures soared in order to prevent the killer bug spreading still further.
Medics have voiced their frustration as people defy calls to stay home.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock has today come under fire after suggesting NHS staff are “overusing” protective equipment, leading to shortages.
Click to play Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
Unions have blasted Mr Hancock, while Labour Party leader Keir Starmer has labeled the claim “insulting”.
Britons yearning for a return to normal life may have to wait until a vaccine is ready as government advisers have said social distancing measures may need to stay in place “indefinitely” to prevent new waves of infections.
British scientists are hopeful that a vaccine could be ready as soon as September, with Oxford University Professor Sarah Gilbert saying she is “80% confident” a jab developed by her team will be proved effective by the autumn.
NHS staff on the frontline of the fight against Covid-19 still don’t have the personal protective gear they need when treating infected patients as exclusive pictures obtained by the Mirror show desperate medics cutting up hospital curtains to make gowns and using bits of plastic as makeshift masks due to kit shortages.