Posted on

2 Dead In Knife Attack Near Church In French City Of Nice


VALERY HACHE via Getty Images

French forensics officers arrive at the site of a knife attack in Nice on Oct. 29, 2020.

Two people have been killed and several others wounded after a knife attack near a church in the French city of Nice.

Mayor Christian Estrosi said on Twitter the knife attack had happened in or near the city’s Notre Dame church and that police had detained the attacker. He described the attack as terrorism.

A suspect has been arrested and is being treated in hospital.

The attack comes while France is still reeling from the beheading earlier this month of French middle school teacher Samuel Paty by a man of Chechen origin.

The attacker had said he wanted to punish Paty for showing pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a civics lesson.

It was not immediately clear what the motive was for the Nice attack, or if there was any connection to the cartoons, which Muslims consider to be blasphemous.

Since Paty’s killing, French officials — backed by many ordinary citizens — have re-asserted the right to display the cartoons, and the images have been widely displayed at marches in solidarity with the killed teacher.

That has prompted an outpouring of anger in parts of the Muslim world, with some governments accusing French leader Emmanuel Macron of pursuing an anti-Islam agenda.





Source link

Posted on

Madrid court annuls central government’s COVID curbs on city | Spain


Regional government chief Isabel Diaz Ayuso opposed the restrictions, saying they would ravage the region’s economy.

A Madrid court has struck down a government order imposing a partial coronavirus lockdown on the Spanish capital, ruling in favour of the Madrid region in a standoff with national authorities just before a long holiday weekend.

Under the health ministry’s order, Madrid regional authorities on Friday barred residents from leaving the area, including nine satellite towns, without a valid reason, and imposed other measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 in one of Europe’s worst virus hotspots.

Regional government chief Isabel Diaz Ayuso had opposed the order, saying it would ravage the region’s economy, also arguing the ministry had no power to impose such curbs on a region.

The Madrid regional court sided with her on Thursday in its ruling, calling the restrictions “interference by public authorities in citizens’ fundamental rights without the legal mandate to support it”.

The restrictions imposed in Madrid, with its usually bustling restaurants and bars, had not yet been fully enforced as no fines could be levied on people violating the restrictions until the court had issued its decision. The government can appeal.

Welcoming the court’s decision, Ayuso nevertheless urged Madrilenos to stay home over the upcoming Hispanic Day weekend that usually sparks mass holiday travel across Spain.

She promised to release a set of “sensible, fair and balanced” rules on Friday, meaning capital residents may still face more restrictions in a country where the government forecasts gross domestic product (GDP) will fall 11.2 percent in 2020.

“Madrid’s businesses can’t carry on like this … Nobody understands the rules, nobody knows what is going on,” she said during a televised address.

Under the law, the Spanish government can limit fundamental rights by imposing a state of emergency, as it did nationwide for three months starting in March, but it is up to the regions, which control health policy, to request such measures on a more local scale outside of an emergency.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, who described the situation in Madrid as “concerning”, told reporters in Algeria his government would study the court ruling and decide how to proceed after a meeting with the Madrid authorities.

The region had 741 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in the two weeks to October 7, according to the World Health Organization, making it Europe’s second densest COVID-19 cluster after Andorra.





Source link

Posted on

Man City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak holds no grudge against Uefa after overturned ban



Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak says the club hold no grudges against Uefa following their Financial Fair Play row.

City were initially handed a two-year ban from European competition for alleged FFP breaches. The Premier League side successfully overturned the ban after taking their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Al Mubarak says the club want to move on and build a ‘constructive relationship’ with European football’s governing body.


“Life is too short to carry grudges,” he said. “It is an important competition. It is one of the most prestigious competitions in the world of sports and it is a competition we want to win and it is a competition we have to respect in order to win.

“And this was a challenge. It’s behind us, end of story as far as I am concerned.

“I am focused on one thing – how I can help this club compete in this competition and win it, and how to have a constructive relationship with UEFA. I think it’s the only way to go.”



Source link

Posted on

Champions League fixture dates and results: Will Barcelona and Chelsea join Man City in the quarter-finals?



The 2019/20 Champions League tournament is approaching its finale, with eight teams set to head to Lisbon for the quarter-finals.

The Portuguese capital will host the Champions League finals, with the quarters and semis to be one-legged ties with Uefa shortening the tournament due to the coronavirus pandemic leading to postponed fixtures earlier in the season.

Six teams – Manchester City, Lyon, Atalanta, PSG, RB Leipzig and Atletico Madrid – have already booked their tickets to Lisbon, with two more to follow.


Saturday’s remaining round-of-16 action sees Barcelona and Napoli face off at Camp Nou after a 1-1 first-leg draw in Italy, while Chelsea must try and overturn a three-goal deficit at Bayern Munich.

Champions League fixtures and dates (all kick-off times BST)

Saturday 8 August

  • 2000 | Barcelona vs Napoli (1-1 agg.) | Camp Nou, Barcelona
  • 2000 | Bayern Munich vs Chelsea (3-0 agg.) | Allianz Arena, Munich

Champions League quarter-finals

Wednesday 12 August

  • 8pm | Atalanta vs PSG | Lisbon

Thursday 13 August

  • 8pm | RB Leipzig vs Atletico Madrid | Lisbon

Friday 14 August

  • 8pm | Napoli/Barcelona vs Chelsea/Bayern Munich | Lisbon

Saturday 15 August

8pm | Man City vs Lyon | Lisbon

Champions League semi-finals

Tuesday 18 August

8pm | RB Leipzig/Atletico Madrid vs Atalanta | Lisbon/PSG

Wednesday 19 August

8pm | Man City/Lyon vs Napoli/Barcelona or Chelsea/Bayern | Lisbon

Champions League final

Sunday 23 August | 8pm | Lisbon

All fixture dates are subject to change.



Source link

Posted on

Arsenal 2-0 Man City: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang guides Gunners into FA Cup final


Aubameyang’s brilliant breakaway goal doubles Gunners lead

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta outmanoeuvred his mentor Pep Guardiola as the Gunners reached the FA Cup final with victory at Wembley.

Arteta, who left his job as Manchester City assistant manager to succeed Unai Emery at Arsenal in December, now has a chance to mark his first season in charge with major silverware when they face Chelsea or Manchester United in the final on 1 August.

The match-winner was Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the world-class striker Arsenal are desperate to secure on a new long-term contract, as he ruthlessly exposed City’s defensive deficiencies.

Aubameyang had already shot straight at Ederson with one clear chance but there was no escape for City after 19 minutes when he showed great technique to steer home Nicolas Pepe’s cross with the outside of his foot at the far post.

City dominated possession after the break but squandered their opportunities and Aubameyang made them pay once more in the 71st minute when he raced away on the angle to slide a composed finish under the keeper.

Aubameyang shows importance to Gunners

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang gives Arsenal FA Cup lead

This was a personal triumph for Arteta and completes a superb week after the victory over Premier League champions Liverpool at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.

And there was so much to admire about Arsenal’s willingness to adopt a courageous gameplan, happy to patiently keep possession – often in their own area – with one such passage of play leading to Aubameyang’s opener.

As against Liverpool, Arsenal were well-organised and resilient at the back, willing to throw bodies on the line to repel the wave of City attacks in the second half as the holders tried to hold on to the FA Cup.

David Luiz had the sort of nightmare many believed would end his Arsenal career when they played City in their first post-lockdown game at Etihad Stadium, making a mistake leading to a goal then being sent off after conceding a penalty.

This was the other side of the maverick Brazilian defender, a rock at the heart of Arsenal’s defence and a central figure in this victory.

The spearhead, however, was the 31-year-old Gabon striker Aubameyang, who was a huge threat throughout and illustrated exactly why he is among the game’s elite group of strikers.

An ever-present menace, his two finishes were of the highest quality and demonstrated his big-match temperament.

This is why Arsenal are so keen to get his signature on a lucrative new deal – and why they will have a chance of winning the FA Cup no matter who they face in the final.

Man City’s flaws exposed

Manchester City rightly receive plaudits for their classic purist style – but there is a faultline running through this team that manager Guardiola simply must address.

This is a side that can defeat anyone but also has a soft centre that makes them eminently beatable – there is a reason why they have lost nine times in the Premier League this season.

Guardiola’s side can be cut and carved open, as they were twice by Aubameyang here, and this must surely be central to their summer transfer activity.

As at Southampton recently, they had plenty of the ball after going behind but could not find a cutting edge. This is where master finisher Sergio Aguero is missed, especially as this was one of those rare occasions when Kevin de Bruyne’s radar was faulty.

City romped to a 6-0 victory in last season’s final against Watford, but there will be no repeat this year and that is because there are faults in this team that Arsenal – led by Arteta – were able to exploit.

Man of the match – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal)

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has now scored 66 goals for Arsenal in all competitions. Since his debut for the club, only Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah (68) has scored more among Premier League players.

‘An incredible week’ – what they said

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta to BBC Sport: “We’ve had an incredible week to beat the best two teams in Europe, it doesn’t happen every day.

“I don’t care who plays, I can trust them – we made changes and everyone was ready.

“We had to suffer in many moments. We had to be really well-organised and minimise the spaces.”

On seeing Pep Guardiola after the game: “I high-fived him after the game and wished him luck. I love him like yesterday or this morning the same way.”

On Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s contract talks: “Hopefully it will help him to be more convinced we are going in the right direction.”

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to MOTD: “We didn’t make a good performance, we were not ready enough. If you don’t play for 90 minutes in a semi-final this can happen. We didn’t play good, we are human beings. The opponent played good, sometimes it happens.

“The only regret is that we didn’t play the first half like we played the second one. We had to change the set-up but we couldn’t do it.”

City’s cup run comes to an end – the stats

  • Arsenal have reached the FA Cup final a record 21 times, with the Gunners also winning the competition more than any other side (13).
  • Manchester City have been eliminated from a domestic cup tie (League Cup and FA Cup) for the first time since February 2018 (FA Cup 5th Round v Wigan), with this their 22nd such tie since that game.
  • Arsenal have eliminated the holders of the FA Cup on each of the last six occasions they’ve faced them.
  • All four of Arsenal’s shots in this match were on target – indeed they had more shots on target in this match than they’d had in their previous three meetings with Manchester City combined (3).
  • Manchester City had just one shot on target in this match, their fewest in a game since April 2018 in the Champions League against Liverpool (0).
  • Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang became the fourth Arsenal player to score a competitive brace at Wembley Stadium, after Reg Lewis (1950 FA Cup final), Charlie Nicholas (1987 League Cup final) and Alexis Sanchez (2015 FA Cup semi-final).
  • Nicolas Pepe has been involved in 17 goals in all competitions for Arsenal this season (8 goals, 9 assists) – only Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (27) has been involved in more.

What’s next?

Both sides return to Premier League action as City face Watford at Vicarage Road on Tuesday, 21 July (18:00 BST), before Arsenal travel to Aston Villa later that evening (20:15).





Source link

Posted on

Trump attacks plan to paint ‘Black Lives Matter’ outside his New York City home – live | US news


Arizona recorded more coronavirus deaths, infections, hospitalizations and emergency-room visits in a single day than ever before in a crisis, in a day across the Sunbelt that sent a shudder through other parts of the country and led distant states to put their own reopening plans on hold.

“Put a mask on it”Vice President Mike Pence waves as he arrives to meet with Arizona governor Doug Ducey to discuss the surge in coronavirus cases.

“Put a mask on it”

Vice President Mike Pence waves as he arrives to meet with Arizona governor Doug Ducey to discuss the surge in coronavirus cases. Photograph: Ross D Franklin/AP

In Florida, hospitals braced for an influx of patients, with the biggest medical center in Florida’s hardest-hit county, Miami’s Jackson Health System, scaling back elective surgeries and other procedures to make room for victims of the resurgence underway across the South and West, The Associated Press reports.

Vice President Mike Pence, head of the White House coronavirus task force, planned to visit Arizona today, where cases have spiked since stay-at-home orders expired in mid-May.

Arizona reported record single-day highs of almost 4,900 new Covid-19 cases, 88 new deaths, close to 1,300 ER visits and a running total of nearly 2,900 people in the hospital.

Florida recorded more than 6,500 new cases down from around 9,000 on some days last week, but still alarming and a running total of over 3,500 deaths.

Ahead of the Fourth of July, counties in South Florida are closing beaches to fend off large crowds that could spread the virus.

The run-up in cases has been blamed in part on what New Jersey’s governor called “knucklehead behavior” by Americans not wearing masks or obeying other social-distancing rules.

“Too many people were crowding into restaurants late at night, turning these establishments into breeding grounds for this deadly virus,” Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said in forbidding restaurants with seating for more than eight people from serving customers inside from midnight to 6am.

Health experts say the virus in Florida and other Southern states risks becoming uncontrollable, with case numbers too large to trace.

Marilyn Rauth, a senior citizen in Punta Gorda, said Florida’s reopening was “too much too soon.”
“The sad thing is the Covid-19 spread will probably go on for some time though we could have flattened the curve with responsible leadership,” she said.

“Experience now has shown most people won’t social distance at beaches, bars, etc. The governor evidently has no concern for the health of the state’s citizens.”

Some distant states and cities that seemed to have tamed their outbreaks, including Colorado, Virginia, Delaware and New Jersey, hit pause or backtracked on some of their reopening plans for bars and restaurants.

And New York and New Jersey are asking visitors from 16 states from the Carolinas to California to quarantine themselves for two weeks.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city is delaying its resumption of indoor dining at restaurants, and not because of any rise in cases there.

The number of confirmed cases in the US per day has roughly doubled over the past month, hitting 44,800 on Tuesday, according to a count kept by Johns Hopkins University.

That is higher even than what the nation witnessed during the deadliest stretch of the crisis in mid-April through early May.



Source link

Posted on

Boris Johnson admits he is concerned by Leicester outbreak as lockdown looks set to remain in the city



There has been more than one million cases of Covid-19 in the 22 countries of the World Health Organization’s Eastern Mediterranean region, the WHO confirmed on Sunday.

As of 11:00 on Sunday, 1,025,478 cases and 23,461 deaths have been recorded from the region, which spans from Morocco to Pakistan.

While cases in Europe have been largely declining, several countries in the region have been seeing increases in the number of cases and deaths. Countries recently reporting increases in cases include Iran, Iraq, Libya, Morocco, occupied Palestinian territory and Oman.

The WHO said it is especially concerned about the spread of the virus in war-torn countries such as Syria, Yemen and Libya due to poor infrastructure and fragile health systems vastly weakened by conflict. In all countries, it said, there is still a clear need for expansion of testing and more accurate reporting of cases and deaths to inform targeted responses.

Dr Ahmed Al-Mandhari, the WHO’s regional director for the region, said: “This is a very concerning milestone. As shops, restaurants, mosques, businesses, airports and other public places begin to open up, we need to be more vigilant and cautious than ever before. One million people have been infected, tens of thousands have died, and many more are still at risk in our region.

“We cannot relax our efforts. In fact, many countries lifting restrictions are seeing marked increases in cases, which signifies the need to accelerate public health response measures. Communities must remain vigilant and play a key role in keeping themselves and their countries safe.”





Source link

Posted on

Coronavirus: City of Peterborough to reopen public washrooms at parks on June 1 – Peterborough



The City of Peterborough has announced it will reopen public washrooms at its city parks beginning June 1.

The city announced Thursday that bathrooms at parks, including at Beavermead Park and Millennium Park, will open with enhanced cleaning procedures during the coronavirus pandemic.


READ MORE:

‘Simply unacceptable’ — Peterborough Public Health calls out human waste in public

The washrooms will be open from about 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Exact opening and closing times may vary depending on the availability of staff, the city stated.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The washrooms will be cleaned twice daily with attention to commonly touched surfaces, including doorknobs, handles, faucets and light switches.

Story continues below advertisement

People are reminded to wash their hands before and after use and to be aware of high-touch surfaces. They should practise physical distancing of at least two metres apart from others when they go out and stay home if they’re sick.






Lack of public washrooms in Peterborough are hampering efforts to flatten the curve


Lack of public washrooms in Peterborough are hampering efforts to flatten the curve



© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.