Posted on

Long Island school’s ‘culturally insensitive’ photo of black students with monkey leads to lawsuit


The students said they were embarrassed and ashamed by the presentation.

A group of black high school students on Long Island claims their science teacher included racially insensitive images in a class presentation that referenced them as monkeys and now they’re planning to sue.

Longwood High School students Jahkeem Moye, Khevin Beaubrun, Gykye Murray and Desmond Dent Jr. said a white teacher presented a slideshow to the class that included a photo of them posing at the Bronx Zoo with the caption “Monkey Do” followed by an image of a gorilla.

The students said they were embarrassed and ashamed by the presentation, according to court documents filed this week. The families served a notice of claim Wednesday indicating their plans to sue Longwood Central School District for discrimination and emotional distress.

“I didn’t know that they were going to put [the photo] in that perspective and show us, compare us to monkeys,” Murray told reporters Wednesday.

In the same press conference, Beaubrun said he was threatened by school administrators to delete a Snapchat video that showcased the slideshow presentation or face suspension.

“I said they had used us like slaves. I posted it on Snapchat, on social media, and he asked me to take it down,” Beaubrun said, referring to his advanced zoology teacher.

Their attorney claims teachers “deliberately persuaded, tricked and cajoled” them into posing together near a Bronx Zoo gorilla exhibit during a class trip in November. The teacher captured the picture and included it in the class presentation about a month later, according to their attorney.

The teacher, identified only as Mr. Heinrichs, allegedly placed the photo in a slideshow between an image of monkeys with the caption “Monkey See,” and an image of a gorilla “thereby misusing the pidgin expression, ‘Monkey See, Monkey Do’ for racially discriminatory and offensive purposes,” according to the notice of claim.

The families plan to sue for $12 million, accusing the school of discriminating against the students and violating their civil rights.

The Longwood School District declined to identify the teacher and would not say if he had been disciplined. The district called the images “culturally insensitive” and attributed the situation to a “lapse of judgement.”

“The photo was an unfortunate lapse of judgment,” Superintendent of Schools Michael Lonergan said in a statement Wednesday. “Without the intent of doing so, the photo was taken without fully understanding the sensitivity or the hurt it may have caused and reminds us that we must be more aware of the feelings of our multi-cultural population.”

But the students’ attorney, John Ray, said the teacher involved was still teaching as of this week.

“These students are deeply wounded and shamed,” Ray said. “This is institutionalized racial superiority. … There can’t be any question about what they meant.”

“Remember, this is a zoology class, evolution is taught,” he added.



Source link

Posted on

US House holds debates before vote on impeachment



The US House of Representatives holds a full session to vote on two articles of impeachment that have been filed against President Donald Trump, Trend reports citing Sputnik.

If the House Democratic majority votes to impeach on 18 December, the Republican-controlled Senate is expected to start the formal impeachment trial which is likely to occur in the coming weeks or even days. A two-thirds Senate majority – 67 votes – is needed to convict the president and thereby remove him from office.

The impeachment inquiry was launched by House Democrats in September after a whistleblower complaint alleged that Trump pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to probe his political rival and former US Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter, who once sat on the board of the Ukrainian energy company, Burisma. Trump has said that the impeachment inquiry is a sham and another political witch hunt by Democrats to reverse the results of the 2016 presidential election.

Follow Trend on Telegram. Only most interesting and important news





Source link

Posted on

Pompeo says will discuss arms control issues, business ties with Russia’s Foreign Minister



US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview to One America News Network that aired on Monday that he was going to discuss nuclear arms control issues and business-to-business ties with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Trend reports citing Sputnik.

He added that the United States wanted to bring China into the arms control negotiations and he was going to discuss that idea with Lavrov.

“We’ll talk about a whole host of things. I personally – the [US] President [Donald Trump], too – have said that where there’s work that we can do alongside Russia, we have an obligation to do it for the American people. I hope that Foreign Minister Lavrov and I can make progress on that. One of the areas that the President has asked us to work on is business-to-business relationships. We’ll try to work on those. There are arms control issues between our two countries.”

In February 2021, the Russian-US Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START), signed in 2010, expires. The US State Department said last week that it may announce its plans concerning the extension of START in the near future.

As of today, START remains the last major nuclear arms control treaty between the two countries.





Source link

Posted on

4 killed in shootout following theft of UPS truck in Florida: Police


The driver of the UPS truck was among those killed.

Two suspects and two civilians died in Florida on Thursday after an attempted robbery led to the theft of a UPS truck and a shootout with police.

The incident began at a jewelry store in Coral Gables, police said.

At least one store employee was injured. That person’s status is unknown.

The two suspects, police said, then carjacked a UPS truck, holding the driver hostage during police pursuit.

The driver was among those killed, along with an innocent bystander at the scene of the shootout.

The attempted theft began around 4:15 p.m. local time, FBI Special Agent in Charge George Piro told reporters later Thursday night.

As the suspects fled Regent Jewelers, shots were fired, and the two men carjacked the UPS truck before leading authorities on a high-speed pursuit, Piro said.

The two suspects died in a firefight with police. It’s unclear how the truck driver and bystander were killed — whether it was gunfire from the suspects or if they were caught in the crossfire with police.

UPS released a statement, saying, “We are deeply saddened to learn a UPS service provider was a victim of this senseless act of violence. We extend our condolences to the family and friends of our employee and the other innocent victims involved in this incident. We appreciate law enforcement’s service and will cooperate with the authorities as they continue the investigation.”

The FBI is leading the investigation.

ABC News’ Michael Kreisel, Lisa Sivertsen and Darren Reynolds contributed to this report.



Source link

Posted on

At least 11 injured in shooting after Bayou Classic football game in New Orleans


Eleven people have been shot in New Orleans leaving 2 in critical condition early Sunday morning.

Interested in New Orleans?

Add New Orleans as an interest to stay up to date on the latest New Orleans news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

The shooting happened between 3:20 a.m. to 3:25 a.m. in the 700 block of Canal Street in New Orleans, according to New Orleans Police.

Officers who were already in place for the Bayou Classic game responded immediately to the shooting after initially thinking they were being fired upon.

The victims were taken to local area hospitals with 5 going to University Hospital and the other 5 going to Tulane Hospital. The last person was a walk-in patient. The 2 people who are in critical condition suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and a gunshot wound to the torso, respectively.

New Orleans Police confirm that they were within feet of the shooting but there were so many people around that it was hard to determine who was firing shots.

A person of interest has been detained but it is unclear if that person had any involvement with the shooting. At this time there is no evidence to suggest the shooting was terror-related.

Authorities are actively investigating the shooting and are gathering witness statements and surveillance footage.

The victim’s identities, ages and genders have not yet been disclosed and New Orleans Police say that it is not known how or why the shooting began. No officers were injured in the shooting.

ABC News’ Josh Margolin contributed to this report.



Source link