Posted on

Coronavirus live updates: Quebec reports 933 new cases, 16 deaths and 13 hospitalizations


Article content continued


11:10 a.m.

Quebec reports 933 new cases, 16 deaths and 13 hospitalizations

Quebec has recorded 933 new cases of COVID-19, the provincial government announced this morning.

That’s the biggest one-day caseload increase since early May.

Montreal reported the most cases: 319.

The province has now passed the 75,000 mark, with a total of 75,221 cases confirmed since the beginning of the pandemic.

Sixteen new deaths were reported – two over the past 24 hours, 12 between Sept. 24 and 29, and two more before Sept. 24

That’s the highest number of deaths reported in one day since July 3.

The number of hospitalizations increased by 13 to reach 275.

Among those in hospital, 46 are in intensive care, an increase of three.

“Community transmission has an impact on people of all backgrounds, ages and regions,” Health Minister Christian Dubé said via Twitter. “We must stay at home to protect the most vulnerable.”





Source link

Posted on

Quebec puts four more regions under alert as Legault warns of lockdowns


Article content

QUEBEC — Premier François Legault hardened the tone Tuesday, slapping a COVID-19 pre-alert status on four more regions and warning parts of Quebec are close to the next more critical level, which will mean closing bars and restaurants.

Warning there is a now “a real risk” of a second wave that would mean the return of various levels of lockdowns, Legault said he does not understand why some people are still ignoring warnings — even holding fall barbecues and corn boils with large groups or gathering in restaurants.

In the long run, the community virus spread that ensues will mean more hospitalizations, more overcrowding, more disruptions in people’s lives and ultimately more deaths.

“The situation is critical, it is worrisome,” Legault said at a pandemic news conference as the National Assembly resumed sitting.

“Today I am making an appeal for the solidarity. Please think of vulnerable people, think of those waiting for surgery, think of those working in the health system, think of our children.



Source link

Posted on

Allison Hanes: Another pint and a COVID test, please


Article content

Walking down a street in the Plateau this week, I couldn’t help overhearing the conversation of the two young men behind me.

They were talking about their COVID-19 test results, which were negative, thankfully, given how quickly they approached and overtook me on the narrow sidewalk as my dog stopped abruptly to sniff a tree. They were also planning their next outing with friends. Whether to a bar or someone’s house, I didn’t quite catch, as they drifted out of earshot.

Since Quebec entered the latter stages of deconfinement, reopening bars and permitting indoor gatherings of up to 50 people in places like cinemas and theatres, people of all ages have been making up for the long months of isolation.

Not surprisingly, young people have been especially eager. Perhaps a little too eager, according to an analysis by my colleague. Health reporter Aaron Derfel recently showed those in the 20- to 29-year-old demographic are fuelling an increase in new COVID-19 cases in Quebec, mainly through community transmission. While the daily overall tally dipped into double digits during late June and early July, it has climbed back to about 100 or so in the last week, with 109 cases reported Tuesday.



Source link

Posted on

A COVID-quiet summer will cost Montreal’s economy hundreds of millions


Article content continued

Industry figures for 2009, the last year that the Grand Prix didn’t take place, show Montreal hotels suffered a $25-million revenue shortfall compared with other race weekends, Paré said.

Occupancy rates in Montreal typically average 96 or 97 per cent during Grand Prix weekend. City hotels double their room rates to coincide with the event, allowing them to offset slower winter bookings.

“If you convert that $25 million into 2020 dollars, and if you consider that additional seats have since been installed at the racetrack, the shortfall this year is going to be even higher,” Paré said.

As more events in and around Montreal get cancelled, those lost weekends — and weeks — look set to multiply well into the summer. On Tuesday, event promoter Evenko officially cancelled this year’s edition of the Osheaga and ÎleSoniq electronic music festivals. Both events will be back in 2021, Evenko said.



Source link

Posted on

#ICYMI: Heat wave, CHSLDs probe, day camps, more


Article content continued

While the Quebec government recently announced day camps can open on June 22, soccer camps are still waiting to hear from public health officials on exactly how they’ll be allowed to proceed. Read more here.

Day camps say they need help

Day camps have been given the green light to open this summer, but many popular Montreal camps say they need government funding to cover increased salary costs. Read more here.

West Island day camps

What about day camps in the West Island? It’s a mixed bag of decisions. Read more here.

NHL unveils playoff plan

The National Hockey League will go straight into an expanded 24-team playoff format and all games will be held in two hub cities if action resumes this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Commissioner Gary Bettman said on Tuesday. Read more here.

Habs in playoffs without Romanov

Russian defenceman Alexander Romanov won’t be in the Canadiens’ lineup when they face the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first round of the 2020 NHL playoffs this summer. Read more here.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

All our coronavirus-related news can be found atmontrealgazette.com/tag/coronavirus.

Sign up for our email newsletter dedicated to local COVID-19 coverage at montrealgazette.com/coronavirusnews.

Help support our local journalism by subscribing to the Montreal Gazette.



Source link

Posted on

Projections show spike in COVID-19 deaths in Montreal if confinement lifted


Article content continued

“It’s not a free-for-all at all at this point,” she said.

Hankins said it was too soon to say whether schools and non-essential stores should reopen in Montreal on May 25.

“It’s prudent to watch and see what happens,” she said.

“I know it’s unsettling not to have firm dates, but on the other hand we want wisdom to prevail here,” she added.

On Thursday, Premier François Legault again delayed the reopening of schools, daycares and non-essential retail outlets in the Montreal region.

Sixty-three per cent of Quebec’s 2,928 deaths from COVID-19 have occurred on the island of Montreal, as have 51 per cent of diagnosed cases of the disease, according to the latest statistics unveiled by the Quebec government on Sunday.



Source link