Posted on

Homeland’s David Harewood ‘sat on by six police officers’ during ‘terrifying’ sectioning


David Harewood has recalled the moment that he was sectioned in 1989 and said that he was “terrified” during the ordeal.

The 54-year-old Homeland star said that he was given a large dose of sedatives and sat on by police officers after he had arrived at hospital.

Speaking to Men’s Health magazine, David said that no one told him what had happened to him or what his prognosis would be.

He said that he passed out after he was taken to hospital in north London where he “jumped out of the car” and ran inside.

David Harewood as David Estes in season 2 of Homeland
David Harewood as David Estes in season 2 of Homeland

David said: “I started screaming at the top of my voice.

“I don’t remember any of this, but my friends tell me that security was called.

“They came down, took one look at me – this big black man – and said, ‘No way'”.

He continued: “They called the police and then several officers turned up with riot shields and rushed me.”

They then “sat on me for hours”, he said, adding: “Doctors pumped me full of sedatives and, at one point, they asked, ‘Has he taken any drugs? Because we’ve given him enough sedatives to knock out a horse and he’s not going down’.

“I was f***ing terrified. The thoughts in my head were telling me that the demons had caught me, so I thought I was fighting for my life.”

David Harewood recalled the “terrifying” ordeal

David continued: “Physically, what was happening to me was that six policemen were sitting on me.

“But in my mind, the devils had caught me, so I was resisting.”

He added that “I’d be dead if I’d been in America, no doubt about it”.

Last year’s BBC Two documentary David Harewood: Psychosis And Me saw the actor look back on his experience of being sectioned at the age of 23.

*Read the full interview in the November issue of Men’s Health, on sale from Tuesday.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033.





Source link

Posted on

Spongebob Squarepants ‘comes out as LGBTQ+’ in celebration of Pride Month


Iconic cartoon character Spongebob Squarepants has been celebrated as part of the LGBTQ+ community following the release of a social media post by Nickelodeon.

Animation fans around the world were excited to see the US kids TV channel share a post about inclusivity to mark Pride Month on Saturday.

A Twitter and Instagram post shared by the network featured a drawing of Spongebob flashing an enthusiastic smile and dressed in his iconic shorts and shirt combo while basking in rainbow light alongside some other Nickelodeon characters.

While the accompanying message hinted about the sexuality of the animated sponge hero – much to the joy of followers.

Nickelodeon shared a rainbow-lit drawing of the beloved cartoon character

The image was accompanied by the statement: “Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month,” along with rainbow emojis.

While the post didn’t explicitly state the sexuality of Spongebob, many followers took the post to be a sign that the character was more part of the LGBTQ+ community rather than an allay.

One follower asked: “Did they just confirm spongebob as gay?”

Spongebob Squarepants has been on screens since 1999

While another remarked: “I think they didn’t, ’cause they mentioned LGBTQ+ Community and Allies, so Sponge Bob might be queer or an ally.”

While a further fan simply typed: “Never been more proud to have once been on Nickelodeon.”

Spongebob Squarepants was created by the late animator Stephen Hillenburg in the 1990s.

The animator himself – who sadly passed away aged 57 in 2018 following heart failure – had previously confirmed Spongebob was part of the LGBTQ+ community as an asexual character.

Spongebob creator Stephen Hillenburg previously confirmed the character is asexual

He said of Spongebob’s character creation in 2005: “We never intended them to be gay. I consider them to be almost asexual. We’re just trying to be funny and this has got nothing to do with the show.”

In the same Pride month post Nickelodeon shared also featured the characters Schwoz Schwartz from Henry Danger, and Korra from Avatar spin-off Legend of Korra.

Korra has been celebrated as bisexual in the cartoon in the past, while Schwoz is played by transgender actor Michael D Cohen.





Source link

Posted on

Paris Jackson gives herself a foot tattoo while social distancing at home


Paris Jackson has decided to take tattooing into her own hands and decided to do-it-herself with a new inking.

With the coronavirue lockdown meaning that visiting a tattoo parlour has been ruled out, Michael Jackson’s 22-year-old daughter thought that she would give it a go herself.

Paris already has quite a collection of inkings, so is prepared for the pain and it is evident from her Instagram video that it was water off a duck’s back to turn the needle on herself.

In the video clip that she posted on her Instagram Story, Paris is seen adding a squiggle shape to her right foot, just below her pinky toe.

She was obviously pleased with her efforts, as she then posted a close-up pic of her finished design.

It looked like that this may not be the first time that Paris has inked herself as she seemed adept in pulling her skin tight on her foot as she worked with the needle in her other hand.

It would seem that Paris is not the only one who couldn’t wait for parlours to reopen, as 18-year-old model Kaia Gerber, who is the daughter of Cindy Crawford, has also spoken about tattooing herself.

Read More

Showbiz editor’s picks

In an interview with Glamour, she said: “I’ve been struggling because one of my favorite pastimes was going and getting tattoos, and nobody’s been able to do that.

“So, in the meantime, I gave myself a stick and poke.”

This is not a pastime that she recommends people try at home as it is not as easy as Paris makes it look in her video – let alone the pain it brings.

Paris Jackson has a number of tattoos dotted on her body

Kaia adds: “”I think I have a newfound appreciation for tattoo artists. It’s not easy.

“I didn’t get too ambitious. I gave myself a dot, just so I could be like, ‘All right, I got a tattoo this month, I’m cool.'”

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033.





Source link

Posted on

Too Hot To Handle’s Francesca and Harry ‘back in love’ despite initial break-up


Francesca Farago and Harry Jowsey have given the clearest indication that their love is strong since filming finished on Netflix’s Too Hot To Handle.

The couple had a bumpy ride on the show, in which the lovebirds were not allowed to kiss or have any sexual contact so that their relationship could grow on a deeper level.

Canadian model Francesca, 26, was instantly attracted to 22-year-old Aussie Harry and they found it difficult to resist temptation before losing some of the $100,000 prize fund with an illicit kiss.

Harry then threw Francesca under the bus in the subsequent furore, leaving her deeply unimpressed and locking lips with Haley in a revenge lesbian kiss.

By the end of the show though, all was patched up and they left the Mexican villa in a romantic relationship but making it work became difficult.

Francesca Farago and Harry Jowsey left Too Hot to Handle in a relationship

Francesca visited Harry’s hometown of Queensland in Australia, while Harry returned the favour by jetting over to Vancouver, Canada.

Speaking on Australian radio station KIIS’ Will & Woody show, Harry revealed that it quickly fell apart.

He said: “We had a bit of a break in between because I’m immature. We had a break for a few months but now we’re back on.”

Read More

Showbiz editor’s picks

Harry admitted he had an unusual way of winning Francesca backk, saying: “I decided to text her. I was absolutely off my face and I was like, ‘Hey, I want to FaceTime your dog and I don’t want you to be there.’ So I FaceTimed her dog, but she was there.”

They have since gone Instagram official with Francesca posting a video in which she details their beginnings after the show and captioned it “always been you.. @harryjowsey,” with a love heart emoji.

Harry returned the compliment with a romantic video compilation of his own on Instagram.

Francesca and Harry have confirmed they are back on

He is now based in Los Angeles, where he runs clothing brand Naughty Possums and he is seen holding Francesca in their latest loved up snaps from Santa Monica, with her dog also involved.

She wrote with the pics on Instagram: “my lil family.”

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, Harry said that they already had plans to tie the knot.

He said: “I flew her down, fell in love again and now we want to get married… Right now, we just cherish each other that much more.”

Harry also revealed: “We dated a few people in between, both of us, and I even said to the last girl I dated, I was like, ‘Hey, look, I’m still madly in love with my ex, and I’m so sorry but we can’t do this.’ And here we are, better than ever!”

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033.





Source link

Posted on

Hillary Clinton was ’emotionally drained’ after revisiting the Monica Lewinsky scandal


Hillary Clinton has said she decided to talk about her husband’s affair with Monica Lewinsky in her new Hulu documentary about her life because you ‘couldn’t do a film’ about the Clinton’s without mentioning it.

It was the biggest sex scandal of the nineties and now the former secretary of state is prepared to relive and retell the sordid Lewinsky saga in an unmissable docuseries.

As she promoted her upcoming film on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on Thursday, Hillary opened up about her shocking decision to revisit the affair between Monica and her husband Bill.

The documentary does not air until March 6 but Clinton spoke about the ordeal calling it “emotionally draining”, and praised herself for making the ‘gutsy’ decision to stay in her marriage.

Hillary Clinton opened up about why she decided to talk about her husband's affair with Monica Lewinsky in her new documentary
Hillary Clinton opened up about why she decided to talk about her husband’s affair with Monica Lewinsky in her new documentary

After telling the director that no topics would be off-limits for the documentary series, Hillary called the situation ‘draining’.

She said: “It was a really emotionally draining experience to go through it again, but I have to say, once I saw the whole four hours of the documentary, I hope that our talking about this, my willingness to address all of this, really does help other people.

“People need to be thoughtful about the decisions they make in their own lives, and we should be kinder and more supportive to everybody who makes the best decisions that they think they can make.”

It was the biggest sex scandal of the nineties and now the former secretary of state is prepared to retell the Lewinsky saga
It was the biggest sex scandal of the nineties and now the former secretary of state is prepared to retell the Lewinsky saga

President Clinton also speaks in the documentary, about his affair with a then-22-year-old Lewinsky, who was a White House intern at the time.

Hilarry told Ellen: “Staying in my marriage was the gutsiest personal decision I ever made. So for me, revisiting that, talking about it, for my husband also to agree to be in the film and also to be asked, made it a bit difficult, there’s no doubt about it.”

“But you couldn’t actually do a film about my life and not cover something that everybody knew about because you could read about it, and everybody had an opinion about.”

Clinton said the ordeal was "emotionally draining", and praised herself for making the 'gutsy' decision to stay in her marriage
Clinton said the ordeal was “emotionally draining”, and praised herself for making the ‘gutsy’ decision to stay in her marriage

Hillary continued to explain: “It’s fascinating because as you go through the film, some of the women who have been my friends and who have supported me personally and every other way, they talked about how so many women would be really upset because I chose to stay with my husband.

“A lot of the women would say, ‘I can’t support her, I don’t like her because she stayed with her husband.’ And they would say, ‘OK, why is that?’ And people would talk and pretty soon they would say that happened to my sister, that happened to my friend, and I always said everybody needs to make the best decision for you and your family.

“It was such a strange conversation because some of the very same people who would say, ‘I could never support her,’ would say literally in the next breath, ‘but I love her husband, I love Bill Clinton.'”

Ms Lewinsky, who was a White House intern at the time of the affair in 1996, remained quiet at first but news of the scandal broke two years later and almost ruined Clinton’s presidency after he was impeached by the US Senate and then acquitted.

News of the scandal broke in 1998 and almost ruined Clinton's presidency after he was impeached and then acquitted
News of the scandal broke in 1998 and almost ruined Clinton’s presidency after he was impeached and then acquitted

Monica’s affair with Clinton famously saw the President remark: “I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.”

Hillary decided to stand by her husband and continued to hold his hand at press conferences, much to the shock of the world watching.

Insisting that she wants the couple’s honesty about the situation to help other people going through similar things, Hillary admitted that it was tough to talk about but encouraged ‘kindness’ and ‘more support’.

Hillary decided to stand by her husband and continued to hold his hand at press conferences
Hillary decided to stand by her husband and continued to hold his hand at press conferences

Read More

Showbiz editor’s picks

Clinton gave 36 hours worth of interviews for the film. It is set to air on Hulu on March 6.

The film, directed by Nanette Burstein was reduced down from 1,700 hours of behind-the-scenes footage from her 2016 presidential campaign, including the tell-all interviews with Hillary.

The film also includes emotional moments, such as an interview with Betsy Ebeling, who was Hillary’s best friend since sixth grade and was being treated for breast cancer at the time. Ebeling died at 72 in July after filming the interview.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033





Source link

Posted on

Gemma Atkinson furious at baby Mia’s first word after her ‘traumatic labour’


Gemma Atkinson has revealed what her baby daughter Mia’s first word was today – and she is fuming.

The 35-year-old shares Mia with her husband and former Strictly partner Gorka Marquez.

Mia was born in May 2019, and said her first word today – but it wasn’t what former Emmerdale actress Gemma hoped.

Taking to her Instagram stories, she said: “I carried her, I had a kidney infection with her around seven months, and was taken to A&E.

“I had an achey back, swollen feet, quite a traumatic birth.

“Followed by a hemorrhage.

The actress, 35, is focusing on being a new mum to baby Mia

“This morning the first thing she starts saying….’Dadadada.'”

She mocked Mia jokingly as she pretended to rage that Mia’s first word wasn’t “mama”, pointing the camera to a very smug looking Gorka.

“Now I know ‘dadada’ is easier than ‘mamama’ but COME ON MIA.

Gemma Atkinson and partner Gorka Marquez welcomed their daughter Mia last year

“COME ON”, she ranted.

Meanwhile Gorka raised his arms at the camera in triumph as he celebrated his daughter’s tribute to him.

Gemma recently shared a hilarious mishap regarding Mia, as she pined for her holiday in Greece.

Alongside a photo with Gorka as they cuddled up on the stunning beach, she wrote: “When you wish you were back in Greece but the reality is it’s Monday and Mia’s poo went up her back”.


Emmerdale fans have been asking for the actress to make a come back to the soap as character Carly Hope, a role she left in 2017.

However, Emmerdale viewers will be sad to learn that Gemma has said she will not be returning to the Dales any time soon.

The actress, 35, is focusing on her radio show in Manchester as well as being a new mum to baby Mia.


She told the Daily Star Sunday : “I love Emmerdale. It’s a great show. But going back would mean doing a commute to Leeds, doing 12 hours of filming and then going back again.

“So I wouldn’t see Mia.”

She added: “People keep messaging me saying I should go back to save Marlon, but I can’t go back at the moment.”

Gorka and Gemma were out of breath after a gruelling workout together

Read More

Showbiz editor’s picks

She added: “I’m really enjoying my radio show at the moment. I get to work on my doorstep and it’s very short hours.

“That means I can be at home with my daughter. I could maybe do a couple of episodes at Emmerdale, but I can’t go back long-term.”

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033





Source link